Monday, September 8, 2008

Project: Tip of the Day

NOTE: Each Monday through Friday I send the Project Test Pilots an email with a "Tip of the Day" and a "Recipe of the Day". I thought I'd let all of you in on the fun today, as I feel this applies to everyone whether it relates to your health, fitness, and well-being, or perhaps your finances, your job, or your relationships.

Good Morning Test Pilots,

Sabotage
Pronunciation: \ˈsa-bə-ˌtäzh\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from saboter to clatter with sabots, botch, sabotage, from sabot
Date: 1910
1: destruction of an employer's property (as tools or materials) or the hindering of manufacturing by discontented workers 2: destructive or obstructive action carried on by a civilian or enemy agent to hinder a nation's war effort 3 a: an act or process tending to hamper or hurt b: deliberate subversion
Source = www.m-w.com

Rather than a "Project: Tip of the Day", today I have a "Project: Question of the Day". All of you have experienced various levels of self-sabotage in the past couple months. We all do it, myself included. Sometimes it's a little, seemingly insignificant choice we make that is not in alignment with our Project goals and intentions. Other times its big-time, full-blown, knocking it outta the park sabotage. My question to you is what do you think is behind these actions? Why do you think you find yourself in self-sabotage mode? I can only speak for myself and why I do it, why I used to do it left and right and why I do it far less these days than I used to. I'd like to challenge you to really consider the possibilities. Also consider, where else in your life do you self-sabotage? Do you do it in your workouts? How about with your diet? Do you find yourself doing this at work? How about in your relationships or with money? I bring this topic up as it has been a reoccuring theme with some of you, in fact, Test Pilot Jen refers to this on her currentl blog post.

Over the years, I've found that there is no difference in how a person responds to the challenges of a workout program or a lifestyle change such as the Project, and how they respond to any challenge in life. Some people dance around the challenge, procrastinate, or come up with excuses. Others dive in head first and go full steam ahead at the expense of keeping balance in other aspect of their life. This insight first came to me around 9 years ago when I was a full-time trainer doing a workout with Jody. She would be doing a challenging set of a particular strength exercise and when I would offer to help, she would call me off and tell me not to help. This reflected Jody's personality at the time and her tendency towards being overly self sufficient.

Many people are great at taking care of others, their job, their children, their bosses/work yet they totally sabotage themselves when it comes to self care, perhaps this speaks to you as well.

So, here's a little Test Pilot homework. Consider what I have written here and consider the questions that I have asked. By Friday, email me what you come up with. All of you readers not directly involved in the Project (yet), feel free to partake and email me if you like: chris-roche@comcast.net.

Project: Recipe of the Day -- Chris' Post-workout Recovery Concoction
Below is a recovery drink I often enjoy after an intense or long training session (like yesterday). It also works great as an occasional meal replacement or super-charged snack. Personally, I only have one of these a couple times per week, as I prefer to get my nutrients through solid, whole foods rather than shakes, pills, potions, or supplements.

Adjust the following ingredients to suit your caloric needs and feel free to be as creative as you like. Let me know what you come up with.

1 Cup of Rice Milk (you can use cows milk, soy milk, whatever floats your boat)
2 Scoops Designer Whey Protein Powder
1 cup of fresh or frozen berries (or any fruit you want to incorporate). Sometimes I use blueberries, other times it's mixed berries, again it's whatever you want to use. Sometimes I like the frozen fruit as it makes for more of a "milkshake" consistency
Teaspoon of flaxseed oil
Add water to get the consistency you want
Hit it with your hand blender and enjoy!

No comments: