Monday, August 4, 2008

Day 8

Hello Everyone,

Day 8 was a blast with an intense strength and toning session and a few other activities/assignments. The workout I did earlier today was pulled right out of the pages of the "Project: Bridging the Wellness Gap" Level 2 manual. As I've already mentioned, everything I'm doing to prepare for the Indy Half Marathon is exactly what I am presenting in the Project. The only thing I am tweaking is the running mileage.

Some recent feedback or questions have come my way regarding how I am able do everything I am doing/being these days and still maintain a decent level of quality and "service" and make progress in my own training. First, I'd say "thank you". And second, I'd have to acknowledge that many of you are doing/being far more than I am and probably doing a better job of it. And finally I have to say it's because I am super-motivated and inspired by the Project and I've found that with some creativity and dropping all the excuses, I've been able to do/be far more than I ever thought possible.

Here are a few things that I find helpful:
  • Practice what I preach = consistency in my training is key and I make it a priority, even if it means getting to bed earlier and getting up earlier (which isn't my "nature" or what my ego prefers)
  • No Excuses = I've said it from the beginning of the Project, I mean it, and I'm doing my best to live it
  • Planning = I've written about this extensively in the "Project: Tip of the Day" and on the blogs. Without a plan that you follow as close as you can, you cannot make the kind of progress you envision
  • Average amount of t.v. I watch each week = less than 2 hours. I watch "Miami Ink" every Thursday that it's on (sorry, I'm a fan). Other than that, I may watch a program with Christian, or an occasional program or video. They don't call it the "boob tube" or the "idiot box" for nothing. T.V. is a huge waste of time, if you don't have time to waste
  • Average amount of time I spend on the internet for things not work or Project related = less than 1. Again, a huge waste of time, if you don't have time to waste.
  • Proper diet = eating properly has given me an abundance of energy to where I feel great with around 7 hours of sleep per night. I used to need more sleep, require naps and I still felt run-down and lacked energy. Not anymore!
  • Spiritual practice = This is perhaps the biggest key, for me. Since moving to the 'burbs, we just had not found a church that resonated with us and offered a Saturday service. Jody and I recently joined a church near our home that has been amazing for us. It's been a huge boost for me mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. More on this later, perhaps.
I seriously don't think I'm doing anything special; unique perhaps, but not special. That's because I know ANYONE can do what I am doing and far, far more if they want to.

Thanks for asking. Thanks for reading.

Now, off for devotions, meditation, and bed.

In Peace,
Chris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talk about inspiring and motivational!! Thanks for your honesty and insight!

Loretta

Anonymous said...

I agree. I still have trouble fitting it all in. I am not a big tv or internet fan (part of way there is not a Christine blog). I have enjoyed reading the Chi Walking book prior to bed (I recommend the book!) I continue to strive to fit it all in like Coach Chris! With time and fine tuning it will come. Christine