Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mission: Eagle Creek. Accomplished

So, where were you at 8:30a.m.? I don't know about you, but Corbin Baird (Project Grad), Joe Wagle, Pam Liston (Project "Stealth Pilot" and my right-hand gal), and I were gathered at The Peace Learning Center ready to hit the trails.

Was it early? Yup. Aren't Sunday mornings supposed to be for sleeping in or sitting in a nice, warm church or something....?

Was it cold out? Yup. Somewhere in the low 30's with wind. As long as we were moving it wasn't too bad though.

Was it overcast? Yup. Cloudy most of the time, even a few tiny snow flakes here and there.

Was it fun? OH YEAH!

Pam took me up on the suggestion to come out and do a hike. So while we headed out for our run, she hit the trail and did a solo hike. Here's what Pam emailed to me.

"I hope that your run was successful!!! It was great that Corbin and Joe could run with you. My own adventure was successful for me too. I made my own route based on the two first loops you and I charted for the summer Eagle Creek adventures. I did two short loops twice so I could be near the water and do that hill next to the steps. That is why I was able to see the three of you. Then I did part of last week's loop in reverse so I could pick up the orange ties that were markers. My confidence in hiking the trails has been increased since participating in your Eagle Creek adventures. Thanks for encouraging me to hike today!

I saw 12 deer this morning!! What a great sight!"


Joe joined Corbin and I for the first loop, which was our fastest lap at just under an hour. He had to bail after one lap as he had tickets for the Colts game. Good for him, but it would have been cool to have him stick around cuz I enjoyed running with him.




The Three Amigos, gearing up for our run. Pictured left to right: Corbin, Joe, Chris
Thanks for taking the picture, Pam!

Corbin and I continued on and ended up going nearly 3.5 hours. I think our total time on the trail, including a couple pit stops was around 3:23. My ego really wanted another lap or to continue to the 4 hour mark, but based on how I was feeling for the last 20-30 minutes, Corbin and I agreed it probably would not be a bright idea.

I'm still not 100% from being sick last week; probably around 75%-80%. Overall, I felt fine on the flats and my legs were good. However, my "power" is still very low and any time there was even a slight hill, I would really feel it. In general, it just felt like the exertion was harder than it should have been for the pace we were keeping. Corbin held up strong and was encouraging. I'm sure he could have kept going, but we decided it call it and head out for some warm beverages and fuel.

So, it was a good day on the trails. I'm content with the effort and the outcome. Now, where were you, again....? NO EXCUSES!

Way to go Pam!
Joe, I hope you enjoyed the game. Looks like it was a good one.
Corbin, thanks a ton for making the trip up from Bloomington. I really enjoyed running with you and appreciated the pacing and getting to know you even better.

Project: Bridging the Wellness Gap® update:
Check back tomorrow as I post the details on the next round of the Project. Once the application process opens, be sure to submit your application as soon as you can. I have a feeling this one is going to fill as fast as the last round, as I already have tons of people raring to go!

Peace,
Chris

No comments: