Thursday, October 22, 2009

Recon Video of JFK 50

As many of you know, I am currently training for my next ultramarathon, the JFK 50. The race takes place in Hagerstown, MD. on November 21st. I came across the video below on the JFK 50 main site (www.JFK50.org), which takes you on a virtual tour of the route. This recon helps tremendously for those of us who have never ran the course. Check it out:

JFK 50 from The Endurables on Vimeo.

As you can see there is only 1 section of climbing (about 13 miles worth) which has around 1000 feet of vertical gain; not too bad! The rest is pretty flat and not technical at all. This is one of the reasons I picked this for my first 50 miler - that and the fact that it's somewhat a challenge finding a 50 miler. I mean, it's not like the 5K distance which you can find every weekend in just about every town across the country! : )

The JFK 50 has a higher finishing rate than some of the more mountainous and gnarly races, such as the Mountain Masochist Trail Race (also 50 miles). The MMTR features 9200 feet of climbing and 7200 feet of descent! That's insane! Click on this link, to see a video of the MMTR course: http://www.vimeo.com/6431763 - sorry, it would not allow me to embed it here.

In conjunction with the JFK 50, I am helping to raise funds and awareness for the Wounded Warrior Project. To date, I have raised $1000 and have a vision of eventually hitting the $10,000 mark! Your consideration and contributions are greatly appreciated. To learn more about the WWP, please go to my web site: www.BridgingTheWellnessGap.com and click the link "WWP". Watch the video, ask me questions and please consider giving an online donation. When you are ready to donate, just click the link that is at the right of this blog, which takes you to my donation page.

Thanks!

Chris

No comments: