Monday, September 3, 2012

Mindfulness Training at PR Fitness


In Saturday’s meeting at PR Fitness I shared a handful of assignments, or practices, that I have only shared with a handful of private training clients over the years.  These mindfulness practices are incredibly simple, yet incredibly potent.  They were passed on to me by my former Teachers more than a dozen years ago, and I continue to practice them on a regular basis. 

Meditation at PR Fitness
 
I’ve been around the block quite a bit over the years and have experienced all sorts of practices that are more elaborate, more “secret”, more far out, more esoteric, or more whatever.  I’ve never been impressed with any of these practices.  While they may give you some sort of short term hit or high, I find they fail to offer any true transformation or insight.  They are not long term solutions or beneficial, especially in my day to day life of the lives of the people I work with.  Generally, the more simple and mundane, the more impact the practice will have.
 Mindful cleaning

The challenge lies in the discipline and consistency of implementing these practices.  It’s easy to do the simple exercises we did on Saturday and feel good about it when you do it once, maybe a whole week, or possibly a whole month.  Yet it can be challenging to stick with these assignments for YEARS!  The true benefit occurs in the consistency, in doing these practices when they are no longer fun or interesting, in sticking with your practice no matter what – that is when true transformation happens.
 More mindful cleaning...

There is nothing magical in cleaning a floor while in Yoga Squat.  There is nothing special about eating mindfully and there is nothing far out about walking mindfully, yet all three of these activities contain a lifetime of practice and deep benefit.
A lifetime of practice...

Here is some feedback on the practice that has come in so far.  Feel free to share your experiences as well!
"I really enjoyed Saturday's meeting. The cleaning exercise taught me that I need to get into my squat for longer periods of time.  Showing me the importance of serving and leaving areas better than you found them in life. When walking, my strides felt better. I hadn't experienced that the "Quieter the Mind" the more you see when you are going through actions... Interesting. The Grape scenario showed me how to involve the senses while eating... I found myself treating it as communion, a touch point to God everyday that I miss. I will give thanks more actively now. "
"I really appreciated the Mindfulness activities that we did today at the meeting. I definitely took it with me the rest of the day, and made it a point to be mindful as much as possible. When I was driving, cooking, cleaning, running, and even grocery shopping! I even saved money that way :] I am just blown away by how much i just keep growing as a person throughout this program. Just when I feel like i know enough, you throw more amazing stuff at us to become even stronger."
Mindful walking...
"I used it today & enjoyed the fuller experience of all. Thanks for the great lessons." 
"Mindfully had dinner with my parents tonight and afterwards played games and colored with the girls. We were truly ´in the moment´.
"I applied it especially during my walk this morning! Very aware of the sights and sounds that were going on around me. It was beautiful to be out before dawn. Additionally, I was very 'present' in a fun afternoon of shopping and dashing in and out of the rain with my husband. We had a blast!"

No comments: